Anastasia Stratigea, Dipl. Eng., Ph.D., is currently Professor in Spatial Planning and Policy at the Dept. of Geography and Regional Planning, School of Rural, Surveying and Geoinformatics Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). She holds a Diploma in Rural and Surveying Engineering from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1984); and a PhD from the National Technical University of Athens, Dept. of Geography and Regional Planning (1996). She has participated in a number of National and EU Projects. She is also member of several scientific national and international associations and networks [NECTAR, COST A22, EFONET, EU-MED, SMART-MED, Smart Grid – Smart Cities Network, etc.]. Scientific responsible and Coordinator of the Greek Regional Action Center – Gr-RAC (http://iygu.ntua.gr/en) (2015-16). Chair of the Commission for the Mediterranean Basin (COMB) of the International Geographical Union (IGU) (2020-today). Reviewer in international journals and conferences, member of scientific committees of international/national conferences. She has published her work in book chapters, international journals and conference proceedings.
The main research interests of Prof. Anastasia Stratigea focus on: Sustainable Development, Urban and Regional Planning and Policy, Spatial Planning, Participatory Planning – Methods and Models, ICTs and e-Planning, e-Participation, Smart Cities and Communities, Foresight Methodologies, Evaluation in Spatial Planning – Methods and Models, Participatory Evaluation, ICTs and Urban/ Regional Development, ICTs and Rural Development, Tourism and Urban/Regional Development, Culture and Urban/Regional Development, Cultural Planning. More information can be found on
Her research work has been published in books and high impact journals and is widely accepted by the scientific community. Her most recent publications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Koutsi, D. and Stratigea, A. (2021), Sustainable and Resilient Management of Underwater Cultural Heritage (UCH) in Remote Mediterranean Islands: A Methodological Framework, Heritage, 4, pp. 3469–3496.
- Lampropoulos, V., Panagiotopoulou, M. and Stratigea, A. (2021), Assessing the Performance of Current Strategic Policy Directions towards Unfolding the Potential of the Culture- Tourism Nexus in the Greek Territory, Heritage, 4, pp. 3157–3185.
- Marava, N., Alexopoulos, A. and Stratigea, A. (2020), Barriers to Empowering and Engaging Youth in Sustainable Urban Development Endeavours – Experience Gained from Korydallos Municipality – Greece, In O. Ronen and R. Purian (Eds.), Smart, Sustainable and Fair Cities, Special Issue, Geography Research Forum, 40 (1), pp. 89-107 (https://grf.bgu.ac.il/index.php/GRF).
- Stratigea, A. and D. Kavroudakis (Eds.) (2019), Mediterranean Cities and Island Communities: Smart, Sustainable, Inclusive and Resilient, Springer Nature Switzerland, ISBN 978-3-319-99443-7.
- Stratigea, A. and Murgante, B. (2019) (Ed.), Potential of Participatory Urban Planning and Governance, International Journal of Electronic Governance (IJEG), Special Issue, Vol. 11 No. 1, https://www.inderscience.com/info/inarticletoc.php?jcode=ijeg&year=2019&vol=11&issue=1.
- Stratigea, A. and Argyropoulos, V. (2019) (Eds), Linking Land and Underwater Cultural Heritage Management to Technology in Smart Cities and Communities, Special Issue, Heritage, https://www.mdpi.com/journal/heritage/special_issues/smart_cities_communities.
- Stratigea, A., Kyriakides, E. and Nicolaides, Ch. (2017), Smart Cities in the Mediterranean: Coping with Sustainability Objectives in Small and Medium-sized Cities and Island Communities, Springer, ISBN 987-3-319-54557-8.
- Katsoni, V. and Stratigea, A. (2016) (Eds.), Tourism and Culture in the Age of Innovation, Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-27527-7, ISBN 978-3-319-27528-4 (eBook), DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-27528-4_23.
- Stratigea, A., Papadopoulou, Ch.-A. and Panagiotopoulou, M. (2015), Tools and Technologies for Planning the Development of Smart Cities: A Participatory Methodological Framework, Journal of Urban Technology, Routledge, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10630732.2015.1018725, DOI: 10.1080/10630732.2015. 1018725, pp. 43-62.
Academic Profile by Dimitrios Tsiotas, Ph.D. – RSI J